This is the Best Gluten Free Summer Salad! It contains grilled zucchini and gluten free blue cheese. Hearty, easy, and packed with lots of different flavors!
Shopping with my children is always an adventure. We gathered up all the ingredients on my list at the grocery store for this salad when I first made it. I wrote down all the ingredients in the notes section of my iPhone after developing the recipe. My kids were reading off items in the produce section from my phone. As I'm picking amazing vegetables, laughter and giggles begin to increase in the background.
I looked over and they were staring at my phone, wide eyed. Why? Because the last item on the list I jotted down, I totally forgot about. It was for my own satisfaction and not meant to be read by others.
'Big ass cool bowl.' That was the item I wrote down at the bottom of the list. I wrote that down not thinking anything of it and forgot they were reading off the list.
They proceeded to recite the line 'big ass cool bowl' about a billion times out loud in the grocery store. In front of toddlers and elderly folk. I quickly erased the line from my phone and disciplined properly. However, they repeatedly claimed it was my fault because I started it.
We changed the subject and kept gathering everything we needed for this salad. Then got out of there as fast as we could. Of course, the toddler and elderly folk were in our check out line glaring in disgust. My wonderful children.
Why Use Blue Cheese With This Gluten Free Salad?
First off, this salad is loaded with lots of veggies. And when you have lots of hearty vegetables, blue cheese is perfect because the pungeant flavor really brings out the natural flavors of the vegetables. With so many veggies that can taste a little bland when running together, you need a strong cheese in here to contrast those flavors.
The best blue cheese brand to choose for guaranteed gluten free would be the Crumbly Gorgonzola made by BelGioioso. It is an Italian Blue Cheese that is labeled 'gluten free'. Blue cheese is known to not be gluten free, so you'll want to go with a brand that is labeled appropriately, especially if you are Celiac.
Blue cheese pairs incredibly well with zucchini and celery. And peas this time of year are all in season. Grilling the zucchini is perfect for this salad, and you can convection roast the summer corn. They will turn out beautiful!
What You'll Need For This Salad?
Most of the ingredients here you can buy right in the produce section of your local grocery store or even a local Farmer's Market, if it's up and running right now.
Ingredients In This Summer Salad:
- Red Onion
- Corn on the Cob
- Red Pepper
- Blue Cheese
With hearty salads you can add lots of different kinds of vegetables. Just make sure they come together well with the cheese that you use. Once that all matches, you can add a dressing that finishes everything off.
The ginger dressing I made for this salad is perfect. The tanginess makes every bite mouthwatering and you can't get enough!
And kale is the go to lettuce for this gluten free summer salad. When making a salad that's heavy with vegetables, I always use fresh kale. It can hold up to anything and tastes wonderful in the summertime.
I still haven't found that big ass cool bowl I've been looking for forever. Maybe one day.
In the meantime, enjoy this awesome gluten free summer salad! It truly is wonderful. Just like my kiddos.
Best Gluten Free Hearty Summer Salad
- ½ Bunch of kale Large curly, stemmed, chopped
- 1 Zucchini
- 1 Ear of corn Shucked
- 1 Celery stalk Diced
- 1 Carrot Shredded, I use a potato peeler
- 1 Red bell pepper Sliced
- ½ Red onion Thinly sliced
- 1 pound Peas Shelled
- 1 block Smokey blue cheese Small block, BelGioioso Gorgonzola brand is labeled gluten free
- Fresh basil leaves chopped (If desired)
- FOR DRESSING:
- 3 tablespoons Rice vinegar
- 1 tablespoon Fresh ginger Minced
- 1 tablespoon Water
- 1 tablespoon Orange juice
- 1 tablespoon Mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon Honey
- 1 ½ tablespoons Soy sauce
- 1 pinch Sugar cane
- 1 pinch Kosher salt
- 1 pinch Freshly ground peppercorn
- 1 teaspoon Tomato paste
- You can grill the corn and zucchini if making a bunch of salad.
- For two, just heat oven to convection roast at 400 degrees.
- Cut zucchini lengthwise so there are two halves, then place on baking sheet skin down (so the yellow center is facing up).
- Place shucked corn on baking sheet as well, not touching zucchini.
- Sprinkle kosher salt and pepper on zucchini and corn, then place sheet in oven.
- Bake for approximately 22 minutes, turning vegetables over halfway through cooking time.
- After turning, you can salt and pepper other side too.
- While vegetables roast, prepare salad and dressing.
- FOR DRESSING:
- In a small bowl, whisk together all dressing ingredients until thoroughly mixed.
- Store in fridge until ready to serve.
- When vegetables are finished roasting, take out of oven and let rest on a plate until they reach room temperature.
- While vegetables cool, plate your salads in two plates.
- Layer each plate with kale starting at the bottom.
- Section off different vegetables on top of kale for each plate. So peas, zuccini, grilled corn, celery, carrots, red bell pepper, red onions.
- Crumble blue cheese atop salad or put in corner section of plate.
- Sprinkle salad with a pinch of kosher salt and freshly ground pepper.
- Drizzle ginger dressing all over salad.
- Serve with a good knife and fork.
- This salad is perfect with a glass of chilled white wine on a summer evening!