There are fried green tomatoes, and then there is this fried tomatillo recipe. The latter is out of this world.
A tomatillo is a native Mexican fruit that comes from a different plant than the green tomato.
It's surrounded by a husk that's papery and rustic looking. Inside the husk, there is a sticky coating that adheres to the skin of the fruit. Why is it there? To keep bugs away. That's why! This tomatillo recipe is easy and oh so good.
Although they are in peak season during the fall, tomatillos can be bought year round. And because Spring is approaching, they're perfect to cook and enjoy their beautiful, natural green color!
I just love all the green produce during Spring. It's like everything in nature is coming to life again!
Now, this recipe is very easy and you just need a few things here:
- pesto sauce
- salt and pepper
- gluten-free all purpose flour
- olive oil
You'll want to first peel the outer husk layer of the fruit off. There will be a sticky layer underneath.
That sticky layer actually adheres to the tomatillo, so you'll need to rinse off the fruit next. It's really simple to do this.
Run the green beauty under cold water and once your hands are not sticking to the thick skin, you're done! Pat it dry and get a very sharp knife for slicing.
How To Make Fried Tomatillos With Pesto:
Prep and slice a clean tomatillo, then press each side into an all-purpose gluten-free flour.
Once coated, shake off each round tomatillo slice and place in hot skillet with olive oil.
Fry each side for approximately two minutes, or until golden brown and crusty.
Plate and let cool a couple minutes, then drench with pesto sauce.
Tip: I used Cup4Cup flour which is an amazing gluten-free flour for baking and frying.
And there you have it! A wonderful appetizer for a Spring evening while enjoying perfect weather. It takes no time at all, looks incredibly classy, and can be enjoyed with a fine glass of white wine.
It doesn't get any better than that! Be sure to let me know if you make this tomatillo recipe by commenting in the section below!
Fried Tomatillo Recipe With Pesto Sauce (Gluten-Free)
- 1 tomatillo husk peeled, rinsed, and sliced into 4-6 rounds
- ½ cup all-purpose gluten-free flour I used Cup4Cup for this recipe
- olive oil California
- kosher salt to taste
- ground black peppercorn to taste
- pesto sauce see recipe below
- Heat a skillet with enough olive oil to layer the bottom and fry tomatillo slices.
- Sprinkle a hefty pinch of salt and pepper into gluten-free flour and mix.
- Dip sliced tomatillo slices into gluten-free flour and coat on both sides.
- Shake off excess flour, then lay tomatillo slices in hot skillet to fry.
- Fry on each side for about two minutes, or until crispy and golden brown.
- When finished, plate slices and let cool for 2-3 minutes.
- Drizzle pesto sauce all over the tops and serve. Click here for pesto sauce recipe!
- Note: For a crispier tomato that binds a little better, you can use a couple tablespoons of cornmeal.
- Note: Be sure to use FIRM tomatoes. The slices should be pretty firm.