So, it's FREEZING HERE in the midwest. And let's just say this recipe is right for you.
Say hello to a ground beef chili that's kid-friendly AND gluten-free. Hard to come by, but I've got it for ya!
This is an updated post from last year, but the timing is perfect!
This is a very classic ground beef chili recipe, that's extremely flavorful and well versatile. The BEST part about this is how to cook the onions and ground beef at the beginning! Seriously!? It's the easiest!! I have kids, and if you have kids and the temperature is negative 2 degrees outside, then you will LOVE this gluten-free dish for the family. Especially if one of your kiddos needs to eat gluten-free. And it's easy!
It has a flavor like no other. Seriously. It's one of the best beef chilis I've ever had. With cold weather, you can be making alot of this stuff!
What Makes This Chili so Kid-Friendly?
- It's not hot and spicy.
- It has minimal ingredients.
- It's packed with protein!
For this beef chili recipe, you can add heat to your own bowl. Simply use hot sauce, chili powder, or finely chopped hot peppers.
What Makes This Chili So Flavorful?
- Using the liquid in the cans to flavor.
- Cooking for several hours on a medium heat.
So, when you add the peeled tomatoes into the crockpot, don't drain them. Keep that liquid in!
Also, the very best way to flavor this easy beef chili is to cook it for a long time! This way, the flavors just infuse together. The tomatoes end up tasting so rich and hearty. Yum...
In a crockpot, add raw beef, onions, and garlic. Let cook for 30 minutes, breaking apart occasionally.
Add remaining ingredients (canned liquid included) and season with salt and pepper.
Let cook for 4 hours on medium heat, stirring occasionally.
Tip: You know the chili is close to perfection when it's simmering and has thickened well!
For a GREAT vegetarian take on this recipe, try Eating Well's Easy Vegetarian Chili Recipe!
Kid-Friendly Ground Beef Chili (Gluten-Free)
- 1 pound ground beef
- ½ cup chopped onions
- 2 cloves chopped garlic large
- 28 ounce can whole peeled tomatoes Red Gold is gluten-free
- 16 ounce can dark red kidney beans you can use 2 also for more meaty flavor! (Bush's is gluten-free)
- kosher salt to taste
- ground peppercorn to taste
- Add raw ground beef to one side of a heated crockpot.
- On the other side, add chopped onions and garlic.
- Sprinkle salt and pepper all over to taste.
- Close the lid and let sit for about 30 minutes, breaking apart and mixing occasionally.
- Add the ENTIRE can of tomatoes and kidney beans. So, the liquid too.
- Give it all a big stir and add more salt and pepper if desired, for taste.
- Cook on medium heat for approximately 4 hours.
- It is done when all the sauce has thickened a the dish takes on its own hearty flavor!
- Add spicy heat to your individual bowls instead of the crockpot. This way, everyone is happy!
- When you taste the dish early, you will notice a very tomato like, almost sweet taste. This changed over time. Eventually, a hearty deep flavor will happen, so be patient! 😉